Monday, November 5, 2007

Huzzah!

Sinbearer was kind enough to send me the At World's End soundtrack via MSN Messenger's file transfer, so now I have it. It's the best of the three, I think, though I still love "Davy Jones," "The Kraken" and "Hello Beastie" better than any AWE ones, I think. So far, at least. I'm presuming that the AWE ones will grow on me.

And I've made several banners in the last week from John Howe's paintings, but I've decided that my banner-making skills are very limited--they all have the same border, which IMO looks good on them, yet I'm pretty sure that they could look better with some creative uses of brushes and textures. Unfortunately, I'm very inept with both of the latter two. Thus, my banners have the same borders. I guess I could classify them all as my "John Howe Banner series", but then it'd get more boring.

I need to figure out how to use textures and brushes.

Um, in random frustrated news, my gaming computer (the one that was pieced together from four other computers <_<) has decided to go on strike, apparently hoping for an upgrade or something beneficial to itself. It even has the audacity to say that my connected hard-drives aren't connected. It's weird. I've decided to see who bends first--me or my computer. Our love-hate relationship might become nullified if the strike continues, and I might be forced to fire it.

Don't you hate old computers?

5 comments:

Melda said...

Yes. My mom's old comp will die any day now, and I will dance on its grave.

I could give you a bit of assistance with GIMP, if you like...I still don't even know the meaning of 'texture', even though people compliment me on my use of 'textures' so my help might be limited...but my graphics are okay, sometimes :P

~Sil

Anonymous said...

^ Your graphics aren't ok Melda, they're great :) Esp. the Arwen one you made for PD. :D

Haha, I still haven't seen AWE. *grumble* My dad keeps downloading other versions....he's sort of obsessed with the sound quality, it seems. :P Hmpf. And when I suggest that he could also just buy it, legally....he gets grumpy. :P I know it's not about the price, I suspect it's some sort of hobby...@_@

Hmm, about the banners - there are a lot good brush sites, and MANY tutorials by JF. :) And you don't even always need brushes/textures, I hardly use them :P But JF-tutorials are kind of life-saving... :P

I loved my old computer :(
I only made it crash about once a week, and since I'm not completely used to Vista yet, it's about once a day now. ...I'm so *cough*...technical... :P

Inverted Frog said...

Aiiee! Not seen AWE? It was a little bit better than DMC in terms of plotline (meaning it wasn't quite so terribly cheesy and lame) but the music was really, really good. Though...it was done by Hans Zimmer, so it's to be expected. :P

Klaus Badelt might deserve a bit of credit as well. Maybe. Just a bit.

As for brushes and textures...I generally get an okay effect merely by creative other means. I've used textures twice, I think.

And I could use tutorials....but most of them I forget instantly, so it's mostly just because I'm lazy that I can't use brushes and textures.

Haha. Best of luck with your comp, Meril. :P

Melda said...

*glares at you for calling DMC cheesy and lame*

Go say that to potr, why don't you.

~Sil

Inverted Frog said...

...I probably would, actually. So there. Hah!

But I couldn't do it on her birthday--that'd just be callous.