Wednesday, November 7, 2007

At World's End


I have listened to the At World's End soundtrack quite a few times in the last couple of days, and I can say without any doubt that at various parts throughout it, the themes are similar or identical to themes from Batman Begins, The Last Samurai, The Passion, Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith, and worst of all--The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It really messes up the soundtrack when my mind start's playing tHGttG. Like seriously a lot. >_<

It's understandable that it somewhat resembles the first two, as Hans Zimmer did the music for them, but RotS was scored by John Williams, The Passion was scored by John Debney, and I don't even care who scored tHGttG, since the music was hardly memorable. Unfortunately, there was one insanely hilarious song that happens to share a thematic moment with AWE. Which really drives me insane. <_<
However, I really like the overall At World's End soundtrack, though it sadly lacks that awesome organ sound that made the Dead Man's Chest soundtrack so brilliant. It does make up for it with violins, though.

And I was fooling around with GIMP yesterday, since I really love John Howe's paintings, and I came up with this, which I dedicated to PotR for her birthday (of all possible things, it's the dedication that looks worst). It's the first desktop I've done in around three years--



I like it. Mostly. Still, it could be better. I tried to fit John Howe's painting of Gwaihir in there, but it just didn't match up--the colouring was just too unfit.

4 comments:

Melda said...

Heh. I've never seen any of those movies, but I'm quite content with the AWE soundtrack. Cool desktop :)

~Sil

Inverted Frog said...

O_O You've never seen any of those movies!?!?!!??!?! Those are some of the greatest movies of this era!!! Well, not The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (though that one is hysterical), but the others are great. Like, really great.

RotS was mostly great for its music and its CGI, though, since George Lucas chose to have all of his good actors pretend that they were terrible actors for all of their lines (except for Ewan McGregor and Samuel Jackson). But Batman Begins and The Last Samurai are both really good. You must watch them. Especially the former.

Anonymous said...

"and I don't even care who scored tHGttG, since the music was hardly memorable"

*GASP* ooooh! How could you say that! =O =P

So Long And Thanks For Al The Fish has to be my favorite soundtrack EVER. :P I laughed so much when I first saw it/listened to it. :P

"You planet's about to be destroyed, no point in getting all annoyed"... Lol! Fav. lyrics ever. Well, fav. funny soundtrack ever. I'm not saying it was beautiful or anything. But dolphin + opera voice + lyrics = Meril crying. Of laughing to much. :P

And John How paintings are really cool. :)Though Alan Lee is too, of course. :)

Inverted Frog said...

...fine. Most of the tHGttG soundtrack wasn't memorable. It was hysterical, though.

Specifically "So Long and Thanks for All the Fish" :D