Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The End of It

In case you're wondering what 'it' is, it is Silas Marner, which I finished this afternoon after school was over. Now I'm going to read Heart of Darkness, and then move on to Pride and Prejudice, which most unfortunately I have to reread.

Anyways, Silas Marner definitely got better once I was in the last chapters of the book, and could see the 'big picture' more clearly. George Eliots portrayals of Silas' emotional upheavals, and the turmoil of Godfrey Cass, who was another major character, were very well done. They were on the scale of those whom I would consider to be great authors, but she was definitely a good author. Silas Marner, while written using quite a few now-obsolete or obscure terms, was still an enthralling story with interesting characters, absolutely no action (and now you ask yourselves how I could have enjoyed it :D), and a surprising twist towards the end--I hadn't seen it coming. I hadn't even caught a glimmer of it coming.

So overall, while I don't think I would read it again anytime soon, it was still really well written. George Eliot is now far higher than Charles Dickens in my opinion.

Now, since I figure that y'all don't want me to make another long update that mostly pertains to books, I've got some happy news. My mom found the PS2 that my parents got this summer while I was gone. Unfortunately, it needs a format disc, which they apparently didn't buy with the PS2 (they bought it used). Thankfully, I have a friend who has a PS2 and should thus have a format disc...the only problem is that he is notorious for forgetting to bring/do things that other people ask him to, which means it might be a while before he remembers to bring me the disc. So whenever that's all set up, I will be able to play the relatively few games that my parents bought along with the PS2, the best of which look to be Lego: Star Wars, and The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. w00t for me.

Um, we had a quiz in my Humanities class today, which didn't go as well as any of us would have liked, though it went pretty much as we suspected it would. Our class is actually from DVD, recorded lectures from Franklin Classical School in Nashville, Tennessee, and while the curriculum (which is called Gileskirk, because somehow Franklin Classical School=Gileskirk <_<)not an auditory learner. Now, each lecture is an hour and a half long. During that time, we have to listen to a very fast speaker and take notes, jotting down whatever is 'important.' Well, as we discovered on the test, even the most obscure things might be considered 'important' by them. The tiny little details that we never would have suspected would be on the test were on the test. >_< So we basically have to jot down just about whatever the guy says, though it doesn't seem so critical during the actual lectures. It makes me unhappy.

Oh--and more good news. We went to Pizza Hut for supper tonight, which was lots of fun, because I got a Medium-sized pizza with a cheesy crust, which absolutely no other pizzeria in Slovakia or the Czech Republic has. It was absolutely fantastic. I love European Pizza Huts. American ones only have free refills on the positive side.

2 comments:

Melda said...

What's wrong with Pride and Prejudice?!?! These are CLASSICS we're talking about here. And don't say you found the writing style horrible, because that's just...wrong. Really. Pride and Prejudice = love.

~Sil

Inverted Frog said...

Fine then, I won't say that I found the writing style horrible.

In place of the word 'horrible', I'll use 'boring', 'passive', 'uninvolving,' or 'terrible.'

^_^

I didn't really enjoy Pride and Prejudice